The Frederick Chorale is hiring a Music Director!
The Frederick Chorale is an auditioned mixed voice choir, ranging in age from 18 to 80, that has been performing locally, nationally, and internationally since 1977. Located in the vibrant arts community of Frederick, Maryland, the Chorale has an established reputation for bringing high-quality, dynamic, and exciting choral music to our community, featuring talented local singers. Repertoire ranges from Baroque masterworks to classic folk songs and Broadway hits. The Chorale is a non-profit 501(c)(3) organization governed by an Executive Board elected from within the membership. The Board determines the direction of the Chorale in concert with the membership and director.
Rehearsals take place on Sunday evenings in Frederick, from September through May with a break over the holidays. Concerts typically take place in early December and May, with occasional reprisal concerts in the fall. Additional performances are scheduled as opportunities arise.
The successful candidate will have a reputation for artistic excellence in directing choruses, instrumentalists, and soloists, will be engaged and excited by the creative process, and will have the ability to build on the Chorale’s established reputation for delivering superior and dynamic choral performances. The director will report to a self-governing elected Executive Board and will have overall responsibility for the musical performance of the Chorale, creating an artistically satisfying and challenging experience for Chorale members and an enriching experience for audiences.
The position begins May 2020 at the conclusion of the 2019-2020 season. This is an independent contractor position; no benefits are offered.
- Provide an artistic vision for the Chorale
- Conduct all rehearsals and concerts
- Work closely with the Executive Board and Music Committee to select and order music, arrange venues, design concerts and performances, and plan logistics within budget parameters
- Work with Section Leaders to solve individual vocal/musical problems to ensure all members meet high performance standards
- Contract with professional instrumentalists for specific concerts
- Conduct auditions and voice placement for new singers in conjunction with the Audition Committee
- Oversee the process by which soloists are chosen from within the Chorale membership
- Assist Chorale members in obtaining study aids as needed
- Represent the Chorale to the greater Frederick community
- Attend monthly Executive Board meetings
- Other duties as assigned
- Bachelors degree in Music (Masters degree preferred)
- A minimum of 3 years of professional choral conducting experience with demonstrated ability to elicit musical excellence
- Experience with choral program planning from vision to performance
- Ability to effectively communicate with and inspire amateur singers of all ages
- Ability to employ sound choral pedagogy and effectively teach vocal technique
- Excellent time and personnel management skills
$15,000 - $18,000 (annually)
Interested candidates with the qualifications should submit an application via email to: [email protected] no later than March 1st, 2020.
Application must include the following, submitted electronically.
- Cover letter
- List of repertoire conducted in the last three years (please include arranger)
- Video recording(s) of recent performances if available. Links to YouTube or personal website are acceptable.
The Frederick Chorale is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.